Make a complaint about your provider

Making a complaint about your provider can often be a long process. However, If you follow our simple steps, you will have the best chance of making sure that your complaint is dealt with and resolved in the most timely manner possible.

If you want to make a complaint about your energy supplier, then the first thing you should contact your provider. Upon calling them make sure of making a note of who you are talking to in the company, date and time of the call.

Once you have spoken to them, you should follow up this phone call with an email. By doing this you will have a hard copy of your complaint and clear evidence as to when you first contacted them about it. Give your provider enough opportunity before you take the matter to the OMBUDSMAN.

One important thing to do when you first call your provider, is to ask for a reference number for your complaint. Once you have this number make sure to include it on all future correspondence that you have regarding your problem.

Get in Touch with the relevant Ombudsman

After the initial steps if you are still not finding that your complaint has been properly dealt with, then it is strongly advisable that you get in touch with the Ombudsman.

The Energy Ombudsman is an impartial body that was set up specifically to resolve disagreements between companies and their consumers. The Ombudsman wields real power and companies are forced to listen to them once they make a decision over a certain issue.

Make sure to write your complaint to the Ombudsman in detail for a clear understanding of the issue. You will be given a reference number by the Ombudsman to follow up with them.

If the Ombudsman decides upon a possible solution to your complaint, then you get some time to accept or decline the solution. If you do accept the solution that they have provided, then your company has no choice but to comply with their demands. If you decide not to accept the decision that the Ombudsman has made, then you are still free to pursue your complaint through the other avenues available to you.

If by this point you still have not reached a solution that you find acceptable, then it may be time to consider taking your case before the courts.